There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Thursday, August 7, 2014

"Out of Context"

As anyone that has ever worked in a school setting can tell you, school employees do not exist outside the boundaries of the school.  When you meet one of your students in the grocery store or in a restaurant or Wal-Mart, the mother land for most of your students, they look at you with little puzzled faces wondering, trying to make the connection.  Well, as the start of school comes to a reality, bus drivers will make a trip around the route that they will be driving to check to see who has moved out, who has moved in, and who has rearranged their cars and basketball goals in the road to test your driving abilities.  As I was making my rounds in my truck I pulled into a drive where I turn around each morning of the school year.  There sitting on the porch was my best buddy Mr. Mucus drinking a coke.  I rolled down my window and yelled, "Hey, bring me a drink of that."  He looked for a few seconds than ran out to talk to me.  After an exchange of "How was your summer?" we came to the question that was really perplexing his young mind.  He started with a very surprised look and said, "Mr. Brandon, how did you know where I live?"  A short pause from me hoping that the answer would come to him, no luck.  "Could it be that I've been picking you up and driving you home from school each day for four years?"  The eyebrows went down and the look of deep thought came over him, he was not going to be tricked into giving a wrong answer.  Then slowly a grin appeared on his face and he said, "Oh!"  Another mystery solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment