There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Friday, August 8, 2014

"Adopted"

A first grade girl, that usually got on the bus full of excitement, set down behind me and I heard a deep sigh.  There was a pause then in a small soft voice she said, "You know Mr. Brandon, my Papa died."  This is always difficult because you never know what their understanding is of the situation. I told her how sorry I was about what had happened.  "Mr. Brandon," she started "now that I don't have a Papa I'm going to need another one.  I've been thinking and I think it could be you."  How do you turn down an offer like that?  I had never been adopted before.  After that she would tell the kids at school that I was her Papa.  When they asked if I was, I always said yes. Later there was a change of schools and now several years have passed and it has been some time since I have seen her.  Then my bus route changed and I stopped to pick up a group of older students and who got on the bus?  A beautiful young lady, that I had known as a funny full of life little girl. I thought do I say something and take the chance of looking like a foolish old man, you know Papas are like that sometimes.  Oh well why not, and I said, "How has my granddaughter been?" She smiled and gave me a hug and said, "Just fine". As she got off the bus she said, "Goodbye Papa."  It felt as good as the first time she said it.  Family, it either makes you crazy or makes you smile there's not much middle ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment