There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Friday, February 22, 2013

“Over the Hill”

We have all done it. You know, we say or do something that is on our mind and realize this was not the time, place or the right person. The look on a student’s face is great when they realize what they have just said or done. A look of terror came across the face of a fifth grade young man when as he was getting off the bus instead of saying, “Good Bye” he said, “I love you”. He seemed a little better when I smiled and said, “I love you too”. All teachers and bus drivers are used to being called, Dad or Mom but you know time is passing when it changes to mistakenly calling you Grandpa. The passing of years was made all too apparent to me when I was engaged in this conversation with a first grader. “Mr. Brandon you know that my Papa died” she started. “I know” I said, “and I’m so sorry”. “Well I’ve been thinking” she continued “I’m looking for a new Papa and I thought about it, I think it could be you”. Well how could you turn down such an adoption? So to her I have since been not Mr. Brandon but Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment