There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Friday, January 11, 2013

“This Looks Like a Job for a Bus Driver”

Each day I dropped the little first grader off at a little community store. His Grandmother and Mother live next door and run the store. You know the kind of store, the one where you can buy a cigarette not a whole pack. Each day is the same, I pull up to let him off and Bubba, his little brother, runs out in his underwear maybe a t-shirt, to wave at the bus and meet his brother. While passing through the neighborhood, after my route was over, I decided to stop in for a snack. As I go into the store there are the boys running around playing. The mother looking at me says, “Oh, Mr. Brandon I’m so glad that you came by I could sure use your help”. Well if you have ever been in this kind of situation it’s quite humbling when someone asks for help. Knowing that she is a single mother, no male influence in the household to help with the boys and doing her best to make a living and do what she can for her family. I was a little taken back that she would confide in me but I stepped closer and said, “I’ll be glad to, how can I help?” She looked at the boys, looked back at me, leans forward and in a quiet voice said, “I need you to talk to Bubba”. She then told me what she needed me to talk to Bubba about. So while setting on the steps drinking RC Colas and sharing a bag of peanuts we discussed why Bubba needed to start wearing pants, if he was going to start school next year. Not sure if my reasoning was all that sound but I gave it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment