There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Monday, May 4, 2015

“Thesaurus Needed”

Just the right word, it can make all the difference in the thought you are trying to convey.  Sometimes political correctness has to go out the window and you have to go for the knockout punch that leaves the listener with no doubt about what you were trying to say.  The conversation started this way, “Mr. Brandon, I don’t like this word and I just don’t like using it but I have no choice so I’m just going to say it.”  You know the list of words that were now scrolling through my mind.  “Mr. Brandon my relatives are……., are………. stupid.  There I said it, they’re stupid.  I hated to do it but it’s done.  My Grandpa gave some of them one hundred dollars and they spent it on junk just junk.  They could have used it on important stuff like paying their bills or on gas for their cars but no they just bought junk.  Yes they are stupid.”  I’m sure I was hearing the highlights of a sermon that Grandpa had already preached.  He continued on for a few more minutes and then crossed his arms and sit in disgruntled silence.  To paraphrase John Wayne, “Sometimes a boy’s gotta say what a boy’s gotta say.”  Maybe next time he could describe them as “Financially Challenged”.

No comments:

Post a Comment