There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Thursday, January 28, 2016

“Family Tradition”

When far from home one’s identity and family connections can be blurred or lost all together.  Rural America on the other hand is where roots run deep.  Family traditions and pride go back years.  People talk of Great, Great Grandfather and his accomplishments.  Some family names are held in high esteem in the community.  Others are referred to as pillars of the community.  To impugn the heritage of a family is serious business.  For this reason my attention was drawn to a conversation that I heard coming from behind me.  “My family is known for two things” he said with a hint of pride in his voice.  I looked in the mirror and there he sat with his chest puffed up, sporting an Alabama Crimson Tide ball cap.  “Yes,” he said, “we are known for two things in my family, farting and belching.”  Then he sat back with a big smile on his face.  Moments later, with my eyes burning, I opened my driver’s side window to let in fresh, frigid air, I saw him raise his finger and he said, “I’m number one”.  There was all indication that he would uphold family pride and tradition for his generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment