There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

"Perspective"

A small inquisitive voice asked, “Mr. Brandon what are those for?”  I glanced over my left shoulder to see the eyes and nose of a young man struggling to see over the partition between us. I asked him what he wanted and he repeated, “What are those for?” “What things do you mean?” I asked.  “All those buttons and knobs by you,” he said.  He indicated the switches that were next to me.  So I told him how they worked the heaters, air conditioners, and other devices on the bus.  The feature that out did them all was the lever that allowed me to move the steering wheel up and down.  He got off the bus in a state of wonder.  The next day he was behind me again but this day he was the teacher, passing on the knowledge that he had gained the day before.  He explained to a little girl, who looked on with fascination, each of the switches and what they did.  He saved the best till last and said, “Mr. Brandon show her what that lever does.”  So I pulled on it and raised the wheel up and then back down.  Then he finished his instructional talk with, “Isn’t my bus wonderful?”  Make your day better and go through it with the wonder and fascination of a four year old.  Look with wonder, at the switches there are to flick, knobs to turn, and levers to pull.  Ask, how do birds find their way home, why do cats purr and babies coo, how can the touch of someone’s hand make you feel warm inside and a kiss from a child on your cheek can almost make you cry?  Don’t overlook the wonder of the smallest detail, take nothing for granted.  Then say, “Isn’t my world wonderful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment