There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Thursday, August 13, 2015

"First Responder"

The ear piercing scream came as I stood at the bus door.  It was the kind of scream that causes the hair to stand up on the back of your neck.  Causing people of weak fiber to crumble and even those who are strong hesitate before going into the fray.  Finding the strength that comes with a surge of adrenaline cause by urgency, I turned and made a quick assessment of materials needed for what must be a near death injury.  There was the first aid kit, the body fluids clean up kit for the blood I was sure must be flowing freely, and if necessary I had not left campus yet so I had access to the school nurse.  I step toward the sound that now was a wailing that could only be made stronger by an Irish durge.  I looked into her little round face and tears of a size I had never seen before were rolling down her cheeks, at a rate that had left her whole face wet.  I looked for the missing limb that I was sure had been severed in some horrific accident.  I could find neither blood nor wound.  Knowing if I could not see it then it must be internal. It must be excruciating because the wailing had now turn to sobs that made it difficult for her to breath.  I tried to stay calm for her, knowing if I showed worry it may lead her to think the worst.  I took a breath, worried about the answer and asked, "What's the matter?"  I knew it had to be bad because it took a little time for her get to a state that she could communicate with me clearly.  Finally she was able to say between sobs, "I......... I left my library book in the room."  So in my kindest, understanding voice I replied, "Knock it off all ready."

No comments:

Post a Comment