There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"Thanks UPS"

As we approached Hot Pickle Boy’s house he asked me if I would slow down so he could look for something.  In the afternoons he does not get off the bus at his house he goes to his grandmother’s house, just a few doors down, until his mother gets home.  He wanted me to slow down so he could look on the porch.  He was looking for a delivery from UPS.  He said he had saved up some money and had ordered something and wanted to look and see if it had arrived.  Now to say that Hot Pickle Boy is country and has unusual taste is like saying that dogs crave attention and cats only look at you with disgust, it’s just understood.  He was not forth coming with what he had ordered but assured me that when it came in he would be sure and let me see it.  Well, several days went by of slowing and looking to no avail.  After about a week he boarded the bus one morning and said the package had arrived and he had brought it for me to look at.  But in typical kid fashion I had to guess, with the hint, starts with a “G” ends with an “S”.  With his background I went through my mental archives of Hot Pickle Boy.  Hunting or fishing gear was the most likely item.  My attempt to guess was fruitless so he decided to move to the unveiling.  He unzipped his book bag and pulled out an Israeli military gas mask.  Said he had ordered it on line, showed me how it fit and how the canister was attacked to the front.  He then modeled it for me turned and walked down the aisle, still wearing the gas mask, and was seated. I would have liked to have had a cleaver quote or maybe a deep philosophical thought at this time but I just don’t know what to say about looking in the rear view mirror and seeing a student donning a rubber, military, gas mask while riding your bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment