There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Monday, December 8, 2014

"Miles To Go and A Promise To Keep"

The first thing he said to me after we exchanged the usual pleasantries of “Good morning” was, “Mr. Brandon I’m hungry.” Not an unusual statement especially from him.  So I reassured him that we would soon be at school and he could get some breakfast.  “No,” he protested, “I’m really hungry.  Could we stop at the Waffle House?” I have to admit the idea of some hash browns covered, smothered, and chunked was very appealing.  Before I could give the negative response that should have been obvious he pleaded again, “Come on Mr. Brandon let’s stop at the Waffle House.”  Knowing the bond of trust that is between driver and student I proceeded cautiously, “I tell you what we’ll do, if we pass a Waffle House on our route today I will pull in and let you order anything you want.” A smile of satisfaction spread across his face and all was right in the world. So as the big yellow limo rumbled on down the road on a route that we had traveled so many times that every house, tree, trashcan, and dog was familiar to both of us, he set back in complete contentment mumbling to himself what all he was going to order if we passed a Waffle House mmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment