There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep. Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. Robert Brault

Whats driving a bus like? Seventy of your kids in the back seat going to town. Mr. Brandon

Friday, November 30, 2012

"Just Dirt and Grass"

There is now software being used throughout the world for different purposes called Facial Recognition Software. It is use to identify faces like fingerprints. Regardless of how well it works, it can not compare with the ability that a bus drive has in being able to identify small students just by the top of the head. With this in mind as I'm dropping students off in the afternoon about halfway through the route I see the top of a head that is not right. Recognizing the top of the head next to it I call out, "Charlie, who is that setting next to you?" A little face with a big grin pops up and says, "That's Luke". So now I call out, "Luke what you doing on my bus?" Another face with a big grin pops up and says, "I don't know". "Well what do you usually do after school?" "I don't know". "Are you a car rider, do you stay in after school daycare?" "I don't know". "When you ride a bus who's bus do you ride, Mr. Berry's?" "No I ride Mr. Brandon's". "Do you mean Mr. Page?" "No, I ride Mr. Brandon's". "Luke, I'm Mr. Brandon and you don't ride this bus". "What is your address, where do you live?" You guessed it, "I don't know". The grin, after this line of questioning has now slid somewhat off of his face. As I reach for the bus radio a voice comes over the radio and says, "School to Mr. Brandon". I'm pretty sure what this is about so I answer, "Hey I've got a Luke here". Response, "Well, do you want his parents to meet you at school or do you want to take him home?" "Well, the problem would be this, Luke doesn't know where he lives and neither do I." The school gave me an approximate  location and when I had dropped off the other kids we headed that way. Luke assured me if I got close to his house he could show me which one it was. To try and reassure me, he pointed at a barn and said, "We must be close, I think I have seen that barn before". "You will know my house when you see it" he said, "because we don't have a real driveway just dirt and grass not even rocks." Well it wasn't long and we found a driveway with just dirt and grass no rocks and he got off with a smile on his face. That was easy compared to the little boy who once told me his address was the house with the horse in the field next to it.





No comments:

Post a Comment